Northland Prep Governing Board
Northland Preparatory Academy is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization with a nine-member Governing Board consisting of volunteers, at least five of whom are parents of currently enrolled students. The Governing Board seeks members who bring diverse skills, backgrounds and experiences to provide effective stewardship for the school.
- Seat #1: Scott Keller– Secretary
- Seat #2: Susan McCullough-Treasurer
- Seat #3: Jessica Gabrys
- Seat #4: Brian van Meerten
- Seat #5: Nihal Sarikaya-President
- Seat #6: Luke Plonsky
- Seat #7: Alicia Vaughan
- Seat #8: Ian Cribbs – Vice President
- Seat #9: Michael Shafer
If you need to ask any of the board members questions feel free to click their name to email them.
Meetings, Agendas, and Minutes
Pursuant to A.R.S.§ 38-431.02 Northland Preparatory Academy hereby states that all notices of the meetings of Northland Preparatory Academy and any of its committees and subcommittees will be posted on the front window of the main building at 3300 E. Sparrow Avenue, Flagstaff, AZ. The building is open from 7:30a.m. to 4:30p.m. (except in the summer and summer hours will be posted on the front windows as well as on the web). The meeting notices will be visible from outside the building. Meeting notices will indicate the date, time and place of the meeting and will include an agenda.
The links below are the Governing Board’s Agendas and Minutes. Each agenda is posted here on or before the Thursday prior to the meeting and is also on the front window to the right of the doors of the main building at 3300 E. Sparrow Ave.
The following legal notice appears on each agenda:
Pursuant to Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S. 38-431.02) notice is hereby given to the members of the State Board for Charter Schools Governing Board, the Arizona State Board of Education, and the General Public, that the Governing Board of Northland Preparatory Academy will hold a regular meeting open to the public as stated below at Northland Preparatory Academy, 3300 E. Sparrow Ave, Flagstaff, Arizona.
The Governing Board reserves the right to change the order of any items on the agenda, with the exception of any public hearing. One or more members of the Governing Board may participate in the meeting by telephonic communications. If noted on the agenda below, the Board may go into Executive Session, which will not be open to the public. However, all Board decisions will be made in open public meeting. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation, such as a sign language interpreter, by contacting the Board President at (928) 214-8776. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.
January 23, 2023
December 12, 2022 Note: Meeting Cancelled due to Snow Event
November 14, 2022
October 24, 2022
September 27, 2022
August 29, 2022
August 8, 2022
July 11, 2022
June 20, 2022
May 23, 2022
April 25, 2022
March 28, 2022
February 28, 2022
January 24, 2022
Applying for the
Thank you for your interest in serving on the Governing Board of Northland Preparatory Academy. We are pleased that you are interested in serving as a member of the Governing Board. As described in Article II, Section 2.1 of the Bylaws of Northland Prep, the Board constitutes the governing body of the school corporation:
The Board shall constitute the governing body of the Corporation. The Corporation’s activities, affairs and property shall be managed, directed and controlled, and its powers exercised by, and vested in, the Board. The Board shall have all powers necessary to carry out the purpose of the Corporation as specified in the Articles of Incorporation as amended, and the laws of the State of Arizona and of the United States.
The Board consists of nine members, at least five of whom are parents of currently enrolled students. The term of each Board Member begins in August and lasts for three (3) years, which means that each year three seats are up for election. We hope to fill these positions with candidates who bring diverse skills, backgrounds and experiences and can contribute to a well-rounded and effective Board. In accordance with state law, children of Governing Board members enjoy preference in enrollment.
Steps in the NPA Board Application Process
1. Consider attending the optional board information session on Wednesday, January 11th, 2023 at 5:30pm in the lobby of the main building to learn about the duties and expectations of Board membership, meet some of the members, and to review the NPA Governing Board Application Packet – Updated for 2023.
2. Submit all of the items listed in the Candidate Checklist to be received by the deadline of January 23rd, 2023 at 4pm. The application may be returned to Board of Directors, c/o NPA, 3300 E. Sparrow Ave., Flagstaff, AZ 86004 or scanned and emailed to Board member Brian van Meerten at email@example.com.
3. Applicants are strongly encouraged to attend (at least) the February 27th, 2023 NPA Board Meeting, at which candidates will have a three minute slot to present themselves and their qualifications to the Board for consideration. Many board candidates attend many meetings prior to board elections and/or get involved in some of the board committees.
4. The Board will vote on candidates to fill upcoming vacancies at the February meeting following the candidate presentations.
5. Those candidates elected will need to complete the items in the Board Member-Elect Checklist provided with the application.
6. Elected Board Members are seated and begin service at the August meeting, but most members-elect start or continue attending board meetings regularly in March.
In the Event of a Midterm Vacancy
In the event of a midterm vacancy the application is due prior to the board meeting following the announcement of the vacant board seat. Information will be posted here in such instances.
Budgets & Annual
UPCOMING/CURRENT FISCAL YEAR:
NPA’s Governing Board proposed its expenditure budget for Fiscal Year 2023 on June 20th, 2022, and voted to adopt that budget on July 11th, 2022.
In light of subsequent actions by the state legislature, NPA’s Governing Board adopted a Revision to its FY2023 budget at its meeting on Tuesday, September 27, 2022.
Below are links to a summary of the budget expenditures, the budget revenue worksheet, as well as notification of the hearing by the Board:
Budget information for all district and charter schools, across multiple years and versions, is available at the following link:
*After you reach NPA in the pulldown listing at this page, use the Submitted File Status link to pull up the search tool that allows for viewing the budget documents – then click on the file name to download the budget document
RECENT FISCAL YEARS:
ANNUAL FINANCIAL REPORT ITEMS
Please follow the link below to the ADE website to view NPA’s most recent Annual Financial Report. Once there, you may download the report.