Dear NPA Community,
As the Governing Board of Northland Preparatory Academy, we join with the Administration in expressing our deep concern over escalating violence in our nation’s schools. The February shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida again left us stunned and heartbroken for the loss of these young persons’ lives and futures. The impact of these events affects every one of us deeply as the parents and educators of middle and high school students.
Student safety is of the highest priority to the NPA Superintendent and Governing Board. Conversations are ongoing and heightened as we examine what we, as a community, can do to ensure the safety of our students. Mr. Lombardi and Mrs. Keberlein work closely with the Flagstaff Police Department to examine the NPA campus for vulnerabilities, and implement new strategies to fill any gaps that are identified.
The Northland Preparatory Academy Governing Board commits to the following sentiments and actions. In cooperation with the school administration we will:
- Assign financial resources to identified security needs;
- Uphold ARS 13-3102 which prohibits the possession of guns on a school campus. We maintain that teachers come to school to teach. We do not support changing the law to allow the arming of teachers or school personnel;
- Review policies and procedures concerning threat assessments, bullying, discipline, and identification/support of students with behavior concerns;
- Ensure that adequate resources are available for students who may benefit from counseling or support during this nationwide conversation;
- Protect our students’ constitutional right to assemble peacefully, while ensuring that the school’s academic environment is protected, and discipline policies are followed appropriately regarding student and staff unexcused absence from class; and,
- Communicate with all stakeholders in a reasonable amount of time about incidents and actions taken on the NPA campus.
We recognize the enormity of our responsibility, and the trust that you have placed in us to keep your children safe. Thank you for the opportunity you give us to be a part of your students’ lives. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to any of us.
Cristy Zeller, Darlene Burden, Ian Cribbs, Danielle Eadens, Kristi Hubbard, Jeff Jones, Kathleen King, Kurt Mueller and Ted Reed (Northland Preparatory Academy Governing Board) and Bob Lombardi (School Superintendent)