Guidance Department FAQs:

If you have questions or requests for schedule changes, please email

My college or university is asking for an OFFICIAL copy of my transcript to be sent, who can help me with that?

Our Registrar handles transcript requests. Please see her and provide her with  an electronic or physical address where the document needs to be sent. Your Counselor or Mrs. McGaughey can also provide you with an UNOFFICIAL copy of your transcript.   ^ return to top

I’d like a letter of recommendation form my counselor, how can I obtain one?

If you would like to a letter of recommendation from your counselor, please see them in advance of needing it. Counselors, depending on the time of year, will need 3-4 weeks’ notice for letters of recommendation. Please also provide any pertinent information, such as the address where the  letter is to be sent, and if the letter is for admission, scholarship contention, or something else. Please also have your student resume ready at the time of request, as counselors will do an interview with each student that requests a letter.

What can I talk to my counselor about?

Counselors are available to speak with students regarding academic and non-academic issues. Please note that counselors maintain confidentiality of student conversations, however, they are also mandated reporters that will need report instances of abuse and neglect, and/or if a student is a danger to themselves, or others.

Should I make an appointment to see my counselor?

It is recommended that you make an appointment to see your counselor. This will ensure that the counselor can allot the needed time to the issue. Appointments are offered by phone and Zoom and can be scheduled at these links: 

Mrs. Willis
Mrs. Gilmore

Who is my designated school counselor?

Traditionally, one counselor sees sees students with the last names A-L, while another sees students with the last names M-Z. We are currently redesigning our department to better serve the NPA community. Check back soon for an update on these assignments.

How do I know when ACT or SAT tests are being offered?

Due to COVID-19 many testing dates for the ACT, SAT, and PSAT have been cancelled or postponed. For the latest information about testing availability, please visit the test sites:



Do colleges and universities visit NPA?

Most colleges and universities are now offering virtual visits and tours. Please see our counseling calendar for upcoming opportunities.

What is the Northland Preparatory Academy CEEB/school code?

Northland Preparatory Academy’s CEEB/school code is 030111. You will need this code when
registering for SAT/ACT tests, as well as for AP tests.

Do parents need an appointment to meet with a counselor?

It is highly advisable to make an appointment with your student’s counselor. You can make an appointment using these links:

Mrs. Willis
Mrs. Gilmore

How many credits are required for an NPA diploma?

NPA requires 24 credits for graduation. The specific break down of these requirements can be
found on the NPA website, in the course catalog.

Does NPA offer dual-enrollment opportunities?

NPA offers several dual-enrollment courses. To learn more visit the Course Catalog.

What is CAVIAT? Can my student earn college and NPA credit with CAVIAT?

CAVIAT is a vocational set of programs. NPA allows students to participate in CAVIAT classes,
however, because they are vocational in nature, and NPA is a college prep school, we cannot
unequivocally accept CAVIAT courses. We can accept most credit as elective credit, and credit towards the overall 24 required credits for graduation.

What is an ILS? Does my student have to take one?

ILS refers to Integrated Learning Strategies. This is a study hall-type class that we highly
recommend each NPA student elect on their schedule. During this ILS time, students may work on
assignments, homework, or seek out additional instruction form available teachers. An ILS period is not required for students, but we highly recommend the inclusion of this supported study time.

How do I change my class schedule?

NPA has a drop/add period that occurs during the first 5 days of school. If you are thinking about
changing your schedule, you will need to see your counselor, to ensure that you are on track with your credits. Class changes are also dependent upon open sections and seating availability. Any course or schedule change requests after the add/drop period will need to be discussed with the Counseling Department and dealt with on a case by case basis, with no guarantees for changes.

What is NPA’s cell phone policy?

NPA students are not to utilize their phones during the school day. We recommend students
keep such devices locked in their lockers, until the end of the day.

How do I know my class rank?

NPA does not do class rankings.

What is the difference between weighted and unweighted GPA?

If you have taken AP courses, you receive more quality points when computing the GPA. This is your weighted GPA. The unweighted GPA does not have factor that in those additional quality points.


Superscoring is when colleges look at the highest score sections as opposed to looking at each individual testing date. Not all colleges and universities will superscore, though, so it is important to investigate on your own.

When should I develop my student resume and what should it look like?

Ideally, you should begin to develop your student resume your freshman year. You should catalog your grades, awards, honors, and achievements on your resume. You should also catalog your extracurricular activities on your resume, making sure to note the scope and intensity of your activities, meaning, for how long have you devoted your time to an activity.

What should I be doing now to plan for my future?

Below are links that will give you a month by month view of what you should be taking care of each year you are in high school. We want to help make sure you are not only on track to graduate but have some plan to guide you toward your intended career. Button links open new windows.

8th Grade Freshmen Sophomores Juniors Seniors

What is an ECAP?

In 2008, the Arizona State Board of Education voted into board rule the Education Career Action Plan (ECAP) for students in grades 9-12. Arizona educators believe that integrating the ECAP process into all facets of the school experience enables students to be lifelong learners and problem solvers, developing and applying 21st-century skills to their life experiences-as students, as workers, as consumers, and as responsible citizens